Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“I wake up at 3:30 every morning. It’s a 45-minute drive, I come from Franklinton, Creedmor area. We used to punch in at the Rubenstein building. Now we punch in down by the tennis courts. It’s way down there, and then I walk up here to start work at 5. I work from 5 to 1:30. The hardest part? Getting up at 3:30 in the morning! I go to sleep at 7:30 most nights, unless there’s a good movie on Lifetime. But even then, my eyes go xxxx [start to close]. My husband even recorded me snoring. He said ‘Boo, you must be really tired, right here is how you sound.’ It was funny to me when I heard it. After I leave here, I work a part-time job a couple of days a week at the grocery store. I’m standing on my feet for hours there. I do it because I need the extra money and I like it because I know everybody in town. But I’ve got a pain in my knee now, so I am not sure how long I can do it. Sometimes when I work here, like today, I am making sure all the pizza boxes are cleaned up. That’s what you do as a housekeeper. Sometimes the managers say “You take it upon yourself,” [meaning that sometimes I do things I wasn’t asked to do] but if I don’t do it who will? What will it look like in here? That’s the life of a housekeeper.” - Jacqueline Lyon

“I wake up at 3:30 every morning. It’s a 45-minute drive, I come from Franklinton, Creedmor area. We used to punch in at the Rubenstein building. Now we punch in down by the tennis courts. It’s way down there, and then I walk up here to start work at 5. I work from 5 to 1:30. The hardest part? Getting up at 3:30 in the morning! I go to sleep at 7:30 most nights, unless there’s a good movie on Lifetime. But even then, my eyes go xxxx [start to close]. My husband even recorded me snoring. He said ‘Boo, you must be really tired, right here is how you sound.’ It was funny to me when I heard it. After I leave here, I work a part-time job a couple of days a week at the grocery store. I’m standing on my feet for hours there. I do it because I need the extra money and I like it because I know everybody in town. But I’ve got a pain in my knee now, so I am not sure how long I can do it. Sometimes when I work here, like today, I am making sure all the pizza boxes are cleaned up. That’s what you do as a housekeeper. Sometimes the managers say “You take it upon yourself,” [meaning that sometimes I do things I wasn’t asked to do] but if I don’t do it who will? What will it look like in here? That’s the life of a housekeeper.” – Jacqueline Lyon #HumansofDukeSanford #Staff