Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

I practiced law in Rwanda for seven years before I came to Duke University. I primarily concentrated on litigation, legislative drafting, and legal advising for the Rwandan government. In the MIDP [Master of International Development] program, my thesis is on financial inclusion. Many countries have regulatory laws that make it extremely difficult for women to be financially independent. For example, some countries don’t allow women to drive, or go outside without a man. What I am interested in is figuring out how governing bodies can change regulations in order to allow women to gain more financial independence. - Betty Tushabe, MIDP ‘16

I practiced law in Rwanda for seven years before I came to Duke University. I primarily concentrated on litigation, legislative drafting, and legal advising for the Rwandan government. In the MIDP [Master of International Development] program, my thesis is on financial inclusion. Many countries have regulatory laws that make it extremely difficult for women to be financially independent. For example, some countries don’t allow women to drive, or go outside without a man. What I am interested in is figuring out how governing bodies can change regulations in order to allow women to gain more financial independence. – Betty Tushabe, MIDP ‘16 #HumansofDukeSanford #MIDP