Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“I am a 1986 grad and was fortunate that my time overlapped with [Terry Sanford’s]. H. Keith H. Brodie took over for him my Senior Year, but, before that, it was Uncle Terry all the way.  I was of course there to receive his Avuncular Letter in 1984. One of the things that I think was terrific about him was how accessible he was with the student body, and how he loved to engage and interact with us. Everyone was invited to a small group gathering at his house their Freshman Year. He must have held hundreds of those gatherings over the years. When you saw him walking around campus, you could approach and talk to him. He even answered gladly to “Uncle Terry” and he was always upbeat and positive. In the fall of my junior year, two of us ventured to his office on a Friday afternoon and asked him if we could go to lunch with him. He told us ‘absolutely’ and he asked us to leave our names and phone numbers with his assistant. Several months later, one morning, we received a call asking if we could join Mr. Sanford for lunch. Several of us went. We drove over to the Allen Building in a borrowed Volvo (the nicest car any of our friends had). He insisted he would not ride in a foreign made car and that we switch to his car (I think an Oldsmobile, made in the USA) and he drove us to lunch. The site of us getting into his car as classes were changing was priceless, and many of our friends wondered just what could have been going on when they saw us. He took us to lunch on Main Street in Durham. He signed yearbooks of those who asked. He did not rush things – he acted like there was nothing else in the world he would rather be doing. It took him a while to walk down the street, because a very high percentage of people he passed stopped to say hello to him. After the 1992 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament Final in Charlotte, won by Duke (over UNC in the final, 94-74), we saw him with his wife at the bar of the Adams Mark Hotel. He was a Senator at the time. A few of us went over to say hello and he asked us to join him and Mrs. Sanford for a beer. At graduation in 1986, he was on the stage and he received the loudest cheers and a standing ovation from the student body.  Ever