Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“I’ve never been subjected to this level of affluence before coming to Duke. I’m a lower-income first generation college student, so my public school education has really impacted my experiences at Duke socially and academically.  I think a lot about how and why I’m here, and educational background really seems to be the root of many of the differences between Duke students.  Public school can be rough— it needs fixing and has influenced the way that I’ve experienced higher education.  For me, it’s really sparked an interest in K-12 education. I want to work in some kind of position that can help public schools.” - Kait Boncaro PPS ‘21

“I’ve never been subjected to this level of affluence before coming to Duke. I’m a lower-income first generation college student, so my public school education has really impacted my experiences at Duke socially and academically.  I think a lot about how and why I’m here, and educational background really seems to be the root of many of the differences between Duke students.  Public school can be rough— it needs fixing and has influenced the way that I’ve experienced higher education.  For me, it’s really sparked an interest in K-12 education. I want to work in some kind of position that can help public schools.” – Kait Boncaro PPS ‘21 #HumansofDukeSanford #Undergrad