Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“So I’m currently enrolled in PubPol 301, one of the core classes for the undergraduate major. It’s taught by Deondra Rose, and specifically connects politics with policy.  I think one of the most interesting points in this class is our memo assignments. Throughout the course, we have a few memos that we are going to be drafting and working on in groups.  Professor Rose has contacted North Carolina policymakers and asked them questions that they would like to be answered through policy. So some of them work for the governor, some of them are state legislators, and all of them have submitted questions about statewide issues, and we get to work on solving those policy issues through our memos. It has been such an interesting process—every time I go to this class, I learn something exciting and new about the policymaking process and every time I leave, I’m really excited about a career in policy or in government. She does a wonderful job of inspiring the class to pursue those careers.” - Brandon Dawson, PPS ‘20

“So I’m currently enrolled in PubPol 301, one of the core classes for the undergraduate major. It’s taught by Deondra Rose, and specifically connects politics with policy.  I think one of the most interesting points in this class is our memo assignments. Throughout the course, we have a few memos that we are going to be drafting and working on in groups.  Professor Rose has contacted North Carolina policymakers and asked them questions that they would like to be answered through policy. So some of them work for the governor, some of them are state legislators, and all of them have submitted questions about statewide issues, and we get to work on solving those policy issues through our memos. It has been such an interesting process—every time I go to this class, I learn something exciting and new about the policymaking process and every time I leave, I’m really excited about a career in policy or in government. She does a wonderful job of inspiring the class to pursue those careers.” – Brandon Dawson, PPS ‘20 #HumansofDukeSanford #Undergrad