Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“Prior to Duke, I worked in watershed conservation and international energy policy. I spent three years working for an environmental nonprofit on water conservation and water policy issues in Tennessee. There, I helped create a coalition of environmental policy leaders to facilitate more coordination and strategy in state-wide environmental policymaking. I loved the advocacy and local policy work, but after several years, I realized I wanted a stronger policy background to be able to implement and analyze policy, not just react. 
I think being a woman has made me competitive and made me feel like sometimes I have a little extra something to prove. However, I don’t think it impacted my career choice of Public Policy. Luckily, (or maybe subconsciously) I began my career working at female-run organizations. Both female CEOs were extremely supportive of my career aspirations and allowed me flexibility within my job to explore my strengths. They encouraged me to pursue big goals, including going back for higher education.

I hope to continue working in the environmental policy field internationally. I am specifically interested in working on issues that fall within the overlap of energy development and social equity.” - Katherine “Kaki” Comer MPP ‘20

I hope to continue working in the environmental policy field internationally. I am specifically interested in working on issues that fall within the overlap of energy development and social equity.” – Katherine “Kaki” Comer MPP ‘20 #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP