Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“We need more women to participate in policy.  In Nagaland, my people are an ethnic minority.  We take so much pride in our customary laws; that is what defines us.  But it also comes with a set of challenges: because of these laws, women aren’t encouraged to be part of the decision-making process.  We don’t have a female leader in Nagaland.  We have never had one.  So I definitely think women should be part of the conversation.  I’m in this human rights course with Catherine Admay right now, and in that class I remember she shared with us a lot of epigraphs.  The one that struck me the most is “if you are not at the table, you are on the menu.” If young people aren’t in the conversation, if women aren’t either, how are we going to solve the problems we are facing?  We will never be able to truly comprehend the struggles these groups face without their voices.” - Limabenla Jamir, Rotary Peace Fellow, MIDP ’20

“We need more women to participate in policy. In Nagaland, my people are an ethnic minority. We take so much pride in our customary laws; that is what defines us. But it also comes with a set of challenges: because of these laws, women aren’t encouraged to be part of the decision-making process. We don’t have a female leader in Nagaland. We have never had one. So I definitely think women should be part of the conversation. I’m in this human rights course with Catherine Admay right now, and in that class I remember she shared with us a lot of epigraphs. The one that struck me the most is “if you are not at the table, you are on the menu.” If young people aren’t in the conversation, if women aren’t either, how are we going to solve the problems we are facing? We will never be able to truly comprehend the struggles these groups face without their voices.” – Limabenla Jamir, Rotary Peace Fellow, MIDP ’20 #humansofdukesanford #MIDP