Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

Throughout my three years of teaching (two with Teach for America) I thought I wanted to go back to school and become a school administrator. Yet the more time I spent in the education sector, the more I realized its flaws and barriers to equitable change. I decided to forgo these plans and instead pursue an MPP with a focus on education and social policy. 

Also, my own K-12 experiences led me to take an interest in education policy. When I was in elementary school, my school district had a “gifted” program where students took an aptitude exam that placed them in accelerated courses. These students were tracked throughout K-12 and were pushed towards AP courses in high school. Although I was selected, I noticed a stark lack of POC students in the gifted program. Thus, I heard racist jokes and experienced microaggressions. I personally saw and felt the effects of racial inequity in education. I believe my education at the Duke Sanford School of Public Policy will provide me with the skills to partner with equity advocates to bring innovation to our systems and institutions.

I appreciate Sanford’s policy generalist approach. I can explore multiple policy fields through my coursework, events, and networking. I appreciate that I can seek advice from individuals to inform my own career path post-graduation. I’ve especially enjoyed talking to and learning from peers with different work and education experiences.

I am grateful for the community I have found here at Sanford. It’s been great to have friends that care about me as a person and my well-being. Through dinners and social gatherings, I’ve spent my time laughing and enjoying everyone’s uniqueness. I am also proud of my ability to not let school overwhelm me. I do things to take care of myself like implementing no work times throughout the day. I am committing to focus on self-care this semester. 

- Tim Lindsey (MPP ‘23) is from Spartanburg, South Carolina. Tim loves to read, talk with friends and family, write, and listen to music (Hip Hop, Rap, and Gospel). All this month, our stories are focused on Sanford's Black population in honor of

– Tim Lindsey (MPP ‘23) is from Spartanburg, South Carolina. Tim loves to read, talk with friends and family, write, and listen to music (Hip Hop, Rap, and Gospel). #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP #gradschool All this month, our stories are focused on Sanford’s Black population in honor of #BlackHistoryMonth