Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

Living most of my life in Seattle, I needed a change of geography. Sanford let me substitute the rain-filled Northwest for the sun-soaked Southeast. 

I chose Sanford to expose myself to policy areas and demographics that might be unique to the Southeast, and explore the intersection between civil liberties, social policy, and national security. 

The encouragement I’ve had thus far has been powerful; I’ve never felt this empowered to be authentic in what I’m thinking and feeling in class, and in social spaces. Dr. Lisa Gennetian, my Poverty Policy professor, encouraged my research in the experience of surveillance among American Muslims in poverty, focusing on the intersection of indigence, Islamophobia, and COVID-19. I’ve also really enjoyed the friendships I’ve made – there’s a sincere curiosity among my peers that has made it easy for me to connect with them. 

I believe that policy is a force for change and justice, and my belief in grounds that. To me, justice is something you can’t only feel, but must also actively participate in and create. There’s a popular Hadith (a saying attributed to the Prophet Muhammad, pbuh) which states that if you witness an injustice, you should change it with your hands. If not possible, then it should be changed with your tongue. If neither are possible, then injustice should be hated in your heart. 

Lately, I’m most proud of my newfound commitment to Duke basketball :). I’m also glad I’ve been able to honor myself and my values wherever I may be. My values show up in where, how, and with whom I spend my time with, and what I choose to study. I used to shy away from “me studies” (studying a group you identify with). But, I know now that shouldn’t deter me; knowledge production is a source of power, and there’s not enough scholarship on my identity. I’m learning to honor myself, my community, and my identities in my educational endeavors. I intend to continue being authentic to my values, regardless of other people’s perceptions of me. 

- Mennah El-Gammal enjoys water-coloring, hiking, kickboxing, and has a goal of visiting all U.S. national parks by age 35.

I believe that policy is a force for change and justice, and my belief in #Islam grounds that. To me, justice is something you can’t only feel, but must also actively participate in and create. There’s a popular Hadith (a saying attributed to the Prophet Muhammad, pbuh) which states that if you witness an injustice, you should change it with your hands. If not possible, then it should be changed with your tongue. If neither are possible, then injustice should be hated in your heart.

– Mennah El-Gammal enjoys water-coloring, hiking, kickboxing, and has a goal of visiting all U.S. national parks by age 35. #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP