Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

I’m a senior captain in the Chilean army. I have been in the army for 18 years until this past August when I got a two-year leave to come to Duke. My wife is a student at Fuqua doing a full-time MBA. We have two children, one age five, and the other one is almost four, so we're all studying here.

My background is in the infantry, and I’m also a paratrooper. But for the past 10 years, I worked as a teacher in the army. I worked in the Education Division, where I oversaw the entire curriculum of the army. I supervised eight professors and we oversaw about 130 courses.

I’ve been involved in two peacekeeping missions. One was in Bosnia in 2010 where I worked with European Union Forces in a small town, in northwest Bosnia for eight months. We also provided primary school children with mine risk education. 

Between 2018 and 2019, I was deployed as a military observer with the United Nations in the Middle East. My first five months were in Syria, overseeing the separation of forces in the Golan between Israel and Syria, and the rest of the tour I was the Head of Training of the mission, based in Jerusalem.

I didn't want to wait until I achieved higher ranks to work on policy changes, so I found the Rotary Peace Fellowship and I talked to my wife and she said, go for it. In my courses at Sanford, I'm doing deep research of indigenous issues in Chile. There are demands that haven't been addressed and since the army is one of the primary protagonists in the country’s development, I'm trying to create some policies to support indigenous communities but also support the country in this transition towards peaceful coexistence. In addition, migration into Chile is currently monitored by the armed forces located in the northern part of the country. Hundreds of people are moving through the desert trying to get to Chile. I'm focusing my research on how we can improve the situation. 

My passion is teaching, so when I finish the MIDP program at Sanford I want to return to teach topics related to peace and conflict.

- Jorge Delgado Golusda, MIDP '24

I’m a senior captain in the Chilean army. I have been in the army for 18 years until this past August when I got a two-year leave to come to Duke. My wife is a student at Fuqua doing a full-time MBA. We have two children, one age five, and the other one is almost four, so we’re all studying here.

I didn’t want to wait until I achieved higher ranks to work on policy changes, so I found the Rotary Peace Fellowship and I talked to my wife and she said, go for it. In my courses at Sanford, I’m doing deep research of indigenous issues in Chile. There are demands that haven’t been addressed and since the army is one of the primary protagonists in the country’s development, I’m trying to create some policies to support indigenous communities but also support the country in this transition towards peaceful coexistence. In addition, migration into Chile is currently monitored by the armed forces located in the northern part of the country. Hundreds of people are moving through the desert trying to get to Chile. I’m focusing my research on how we can improve the situation.

– Jorge Delgado Golusda, MIDP ’24 #HumansofDukeSanford #MIDP