Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“My parents immigrated here from Nigeria, and for most of my life, they were undocumented. Even though we experienced daily challenges, they always emphasized the importance of education. So, education policy is really important to me. I understand the value of offering quality and accessible education for all people. Also, I’m naturally an activist, so public policy is perfect for me; I know I can make real change in the world and do really positive work.

As an undergraduate, I was involved in multiple social justice and advocacy clubs. Also, while studying abroad at the University of Cape Town in South Africa, I researched a multi-year social movement called "Fees Must Fall," which advocated for free tuition & decolonized education. I spoke with participants, observed student protests, and examined the school curriculum. It was interesting to see how different yet similar it was to the U.S. education system, and what lessons I could take from that movement and apply to the U.S. 

Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice is also very important to me. I would love to work in a university's DEIJ department, to improve faculty and curriculum diversity and inclusivity, improve marginalized students’ access to institutions, and foster positive spaces for BIPOC students. So many schools are struggling with DEIJ. Why—is it lack of knowledge? Effort? I think if we DO create space for marginalized students where they feel comfortable, valued, and supported, then they can graduate and do good work. There will be enough of a ripple effect to reform other areas of structural inequalities, like affordable housing, criminal justice, and accessible healthcare. 

That’s why this degree is not just for me. I hope I can use it to help others—my family, community, and future generations. And while I’m here…I love meeting people & building relationships, so if people want to continue this conversation, I’m more than willing to sit and chat over coffee.”   

--Omolayo Ojurongbe, MPP, ’24

As an undergraduate, I was involved in multiple social justice and advocacy clubs. Also, while studying abroad at the University of Cape Town in South Africa, I researched a multi-year social movement called “Fees Must Fall,” which advocated for free tuition & decolonized education. I spoke with participants, observed student protests, and examined the school curriculum. It was interesting to see how different yet similar it was to the U.S. education system, and what lessons I could take from that movement and apply to the U.S. 

Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice is also very important to me. I would love to work in a university’s DEIJ department, to improve faculty and curriculum diversity and inclusivity, improve marginalized students’ access to institutions, and foster positive spaces for BIPOC students. So many schools are struggling with DEIJ. Why—is it lack of knowledge? Effort? I think if we DO create space for marginalized students where they feel comfortable, valued, and supported, then they can graduate and do good work. There will be enough of a ripple effect to reform other areas of structural inequalities, like affordable housing, criminal justice, and accessible healthcare. 

That’s why this degree is not just for me. I hope I can use it to help others—my family, community, and future generations. And while I’m here…I love meeting people & building relationships, so if people want to continue this conversation, I’m more than willing to sit and chat over coffee.”   #humansofdukesanford

–Omolayo Ojurongbe, MPP, ’24