Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

I always had a passion for policy, but Sanford has really helped me like hone in. Like -- I know in theory something's right, but I’ve learned to be able to back my beliefs.

This summer I wanted to do something a little bit different. I’m interested in immigration policy, and I’m going to be in DC, working with a Congresswoman [Congresswoman Monica De La Cruz, TX-15]. She's in a border district, and is a newly elected, moderate Republican. I lean more to the left side of things, and I've done a lot of work with people who lean in the similar way that I do.

So, I actually went through Handshake, and I looked at all the different Congressional position openings, and I did background research on every single one of them. (I enjoyed doing it and seeing what people believe.) And then I picked three different Republicans that I thought, “If I was in their district, I could 100% see myself voting for them.” (Like, sure, not everything's the same, but I am passionate about certain key areas of policy, and this way I could get a different perspective on something that I traditionally had one type of idea about.)
My parents have opposite views on a lot of issues than I do. They are religious, with a faith-based home, and I think it’s beneficial growing up in a home like that. You can see that people with totally good intentions in their hearts [like me and my parents] can come to completely different answers about how to solve something. That really helped me be more open minded to accepting different ideas of policy.

I can't be more grateful for the time I've spent at Sanford, and I'm really excited to see where I end up, because if you had told me before I went to Duke (when I was interested in mechanical engineering!) that I'd be here right now, thinking about a summer internship in DC, with a potential job on the horizon in DC, working in policy, I would have told you you're crazy. But I couldn't be happier, and I definitely couldn't have gotten there without Sanford. – Devin Greeno Pictured: Devin with his new puppy, Theodore Tyson (aka Theo)

I always had a passion for policy, but Sanford has really helped me like hone in. Like — I know in theory something’s right, but I’ve learned to be able to back my beliefs.

This summer I wanted to do something a little bit different. I’m interested in immigration policy, and I’m going to be in DC, working with a Congresswoman [Congresswoman Monica De La Cruz, TX-15]. She’s in a border district, and is a newly elected, moderate Republican. I lean more to the left side of things, and I’ve done a lot of work with people who lean in the similar way that I do.

So, I actually went through Handshake, and I looked at all the different Congressional position openings, and I did background research on every single one of them. (I enjoyed doing it and seeing what people believe.) And then I picked three different Republicans that I thought, “If I was in their district, I could 100% see myself voting for them.” (Like, sure, not everything’s the same, but I am passionate about certain key areas of policy, and this way I could get a different perspective on something that I traditionally had one type of idea about.)

I can’t be more grateful for the time I’ve spent at Sanford, and I’m really excited to see where I end up, because if you had told me before I went to Duke (when I was interested in mechanical engineering!) that I’d be here right now, thinking about a summer internship in DC, with a potential job on the horizon in DC, working in policy, I would have told you you’re crazy. But I couldn’t be happier, and I definitely couldn’t have gotten there without Sanford. – Devin Greeno #HumansofDukeSanford #Undergrad
Pictured: Devin with his new puppy, Theodore Tyson (aka Theo)