Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

“Go out there and make some mistakes today!” It’s been a huge adjustment stepping away from soccer and my role as a Division 1 midfielder. I played for Rice University as an undergrad, but I still apply the pregame advice my parents gave me at three years old. 

As a Master of Public Policy Candidate, I think it’s important to put yourself in situations where you might make mistakes because that’s how we learn and grow as people. I’m glad my parents encouraged me to take risks and not be frozen by the fear of things not working out.   

It’s the attitude that I maintained when I decided to come to grad school. I have always been passionate about policy and law, especially as my Papa was a lawyer. I am drawn to policy because it allows me to personally connect with communities on the ground and to understand how the law impacts communities in practice. 

I came to Sanford to gain a more international development policy focus. I want to continue to push myself to learn from a range of perspectives, and I am excited about Sanford’s ability to bring in professors and peers with so many diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise.

I have grown a lot as a person since my time as an undergraduate student-athlete. While I am so grateful for the people and experiences I had during the 19 years that I pursued a soccer career, stepping away has allowed me to invest in all of who I am outside of athletics. It has been an adjustment to be away from something I love and prioritized for so many years, but there are a lot of tradeoffs that come with being an athlete. 

Now I am finally able to devote time and energy to areas of my life that I was not able to before. It feels amazing to have time to go to distinguished lectures, explore other hobbies, go to Career Service workshops or just spend time with people and hear their stories! 

Right now, I focus on living each day in the present and not getting too caught up on future things. I like the saying, “Be where your feet are." Today, I’m just taking time to be mindful and enjoy my time here. – Shiloh Miller MPP’25 #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP

Right now, I focus on living each day in the present and not getting too caught up on future things. I like the saying, “Be where your feet are.” Today, I’m just taking time to be mindful and enjoy my time here. – Shiloh Miller MPP’25 #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP