Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

I’ve been adding “complete a half-marathon and marathon” to my New Year’s resolutions for as long as I can remember. I ran a half-marathon in 2022 that resulted in me vowing to literally never run long distance again. 

But at the beginning of 2023, when my dislike for running long distances had faded, inspired by a friend training for a marathon, I entered the lottery for the New York City marathon. There is about a 5% chance of winning this marathon lottery - so when I received my lottery acceptance, my thoughts were somewhere between “OH MY GOD YAY” and “Well -*- I guess I’m running a marathon.”

The most difficult aspect of training was just training while being a graduate student - trying to justify spending three+ hours running 18 miles on a Saturday morning when you have stuff due. But running gave me a reprieve from Sanford and the work. It helped me prioritize my mental health.

The marathon was incredible. At 11:31, the cannon sounded, and we started mile 1 of 26.2. Once we hit Brooklyn, the feeling was electric. My dad was was waiting for me with one of my best friends at mile 9 with my sister on Facetime. I was so happy I almost lost one of my air pods because I was hugging them so much. 

Each borough was magical – supporters screaming “You can do it!” At mile 16 I knew I had to really push myself if I was going to make it. I ran up First Avenue into the Bronx, back to Manhattan and up Fifth Avenue. At mile 22 I saw my roommate Charlotte who flew from Durham, and my friend Sarah who drove from DC. Their support filled my heart and made the last miles a bit easier. 

I ran into Central Park, crossed the finish line, and stood there as a medal was placed around my neck. I called my mom crying – it was an experience unlike any other and I’d do it all over again tomorrow.

I am so thankful for all my family and friends who supported me. Though marathon training was grueling, I loved it so much and I’ve now set a goal for myself of running all 6 world marathon majors. I’ve entered the lottery for Chicago and Berlin next year, so fingers crossed! - Maggie Giordano MPP’24 #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP

But at the beginning of 2023, when my dislike for running long distances had faded, inspired by a friend training for a marathon, I entered the lottery for the New York City marathon. There is about a 5% chance of winning this marathon lottery – so when I received my lottery acceptance, my thoughts were somewhere between “OH MY GOD YAY” and “Well -*- I guess I’m running a marathon.”

The most difficult aspect of training was just training while being a graduate student – trying to justify spending three+ hours running 18 miles on a Saturday morning when you have stuff due. But running gave me a reprieve from Sanford and the work. It helped me prioritize my mental health.

I am so thankful for all my family and friends who supported me. Though marathon training was grueling, I loved it so much and I’ve now set a goal for myself of running all 6 world marathon majors. I’ve entered the lottery for Chicago and Berlin next year, so fingers crossed! – Maggie Giordano MPP’24 #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP