Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

@dukedcid
.
“My name is Albert Rodriguez and I’m from the country of El Salvador. I work as the National Director for an NGO called Operation Blessing which works on a variety of health and social issues. Migration from our region is in the news in the US, but we mostly address that issue from the lens of human trafficking of children. Our approach is to try and bring awareness to the issue and dangers of human trafficking while our people are pursuing that dream of coming the U.S.
.
In addition to my work through the NGO, I am also a Deputy Congressman for the Central American Parliament. The Central American Parliament is based in Guatemala but is composed of six different countries- Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and Panama. This Humphrey Fellowship program in development economics is particularly relevant to me in a number of ways- I am really taking in the reality of what it takes to implement different policies . We’ve got this opportunity to grow and have more integration in Central America..our vision is that Central America could become something like the eurozone.  So this is a foundational kind of introduction to things that we might consider in the Congress as we grow, specifically around economic policies in the Northern Triangle.
.
For my professional placement, I’m actually going to an organization in the Appalachians. It was important for me to find a placement in a place that deals with rural issues since that’s such a relevant part of my work in the nonprofit sector. We’ve got the capital and two major cities in El Salvador, but the rural areas are the ones that are hurting the most, and dealing with the most risk for human trafficking. Folks who are migrating are coming from the rural sectors, not directly from the capital or the major cities, because there are fewer opportunities in the rural areas.”

#Repost @dukedcid
.
.
In addition to my work through the NGO, I am also a Deputy Congressman for the Central American Parliament. The Central American Parliament is based in Guatemala but is composed of six different countries- Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and Panama. This Humphrey Fellowship program in development economics is particularly relevant to me in a number of ways- I am really taking in the reality of what it takes to implement different policies . We’ve got this opportunity to grow and have more integration in Central America..our vision is that Central America could become something like the eurozone. So this is a foundational kind of introduction to things that we might consider in the Congress as we grow, specifically around economic policies in the Northern Triangle.
.
For my professional placement, I’m actually going to an organization in the Appalachians. It was important for me to find a placement in a place that deals with rural issues since that’s such a relevant part of my work in the nonprofit sector. We’ve got the capital and two major cities in El Salvador, but the rural areas are the ones that are hurting the most, and dealing with the most risk for human trafficking. Folks who are migrating are coming from the rural sectors, not directly from the capital or the major cities, because there are fewer opportunities in the rural areas.” #IEW19 #ExecutiveEducation #DukeUniversity #HumansofDukeSanford