Press "Enter" to skip to content

Humans of Duke Sanford

I’m from NC, born and raised. I graduated from NC Central and after graduation I interned at Institute for Southern Studies in Durham. It’s a progressive organization, focused on the South. In my research I would look at issues like voter suppression, cash bail, and injustice in criminal justice. I want to change things, and so I knew I had to focus on policy, particularly in the South. Durham has such a rich history of activism, there’s so much inspiration to pull from – and now, learning about Terry Sanford, particularly his engagement in the war on poverty, his inspiration really solidified my decision to study here.

And I’ve already learned so much! I’m thankful for how engaging my professors have been, and my classmates.  Everyone is making the best of this moment [COVID], and understanding why we’re here to begin with, we care about policies and the implications of them. 
-Rebekah Barber MPP’22 #HumansofDukeSanford #MPP